Friday, June 5, 2009

Proverbs 1

What do you have to do in order to grow weeds?

Nothing! Now, you want to tend a garden that has fruitful harvest? 
You're going to have to pull weeds every single day. You take a week or two off, you're right back to where you started.

It's the same thing with the human heart. You have to pull weeds, you have to prune your harvest, every single day. 

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, 
but fools despise wisdom and discipline." 

You either fear God, and that's the beginning of wisdom, 
or you don't, and that's the beginning of folly. 

"He who hates discipline hates knowledge."

How can you hate God's knowledge, practically? What do you have to do to hate God's knowledge?
Just don't read the scriptures! "Well I'm not very good, I don't really read the scriptures ever."
Well that's because you hate knowledge. 

The reason that most people don't read scripture isn't because they don't understand it, but because they DO understand it and they don't like what it says. 

Mark Twain: "It's not the parts of the Bible that I don't understand that trouble me. It's the parts of the Bible that I don't understand that really trouble me."

Do you love what God loves, and do you hate what God hates?
What does God love? God, the Father, loves the Son. So we should love the Son. 
God loves wisdom and knowledge, and we should love wisdom and knowledge. 

And wisdom and knowledge are hidden where? In Christ!
So we should pursue Christ, and we should fear him, and what happens, when that happens, is that we will naturally start to love what God loves, and hate what God hates. 



Thought maybe I'd start sharing a little bit of what I'm learning through this series that I'm listening to. Driscol on Proverbs. There's more, but I can't type fast enough. I really like the bit about pulling weeds. That's a very practical picture. Apparently I'm a picture person. 

No comments: